EMTECH EM8000cv Pre-Catalyzed WB Conversion Varnish
EM8000 Pre-Catalyzed Conversion Varnish represents state-of-the art formulating by utilizes our exclusive hybrid emulsion technologies that incorporate oil-modified resins and acrylic copolymers in a one-part package. EM8000cv waterborne pre-cat varnish provides the rich color tones and durability associated with solvent-based coatings in a water-reducible, ultra low VOC, HAPS-Free coatings system. While categorized as a pre-cat CV, EM8000 can also be fortified with our CL100 CrossLinker to create a post-cat type CV.
Formulated as a ready to spray, self-sealing conversion varnish system, or used in conjunction with our EMTECH EM1000 Universal Sealer, the EM8000cv can be used on store fixtures, restaurant furniture, fine home furniture, interior/exterior architectural trim, yacht interiors and refinishing applications that require a conversion varnish-type repair.
EM8000cv Waterborne Conversion Varnish is available in Gloss (90), Semi-Gloss (65), Satin (35) or Flat (10) sheen’s.
EM8000cv water-based pre-cat varnish can be fortified with our CL100 CrossLinker to create a post-catalyzed type CV finish. The addition of 3 to 5% by liquid volume of CL100 will improve the physical durability of EM8000cv by tightening the molecular structure of the cured resin. CL100 improves the resistance of the cured film against high pH cleaners, alcohols and slow evaporating household chemicals. See the TDS for CL100 for more information.
Directions for Use
All surfaces to be finished must be clean, dry and free of excess contamination. Proper surface preparation is the key to a successful finish.
1. Sand surface to be finished with quality, stearate-free sandpaper. The sandpaper grit schedule will vary between 220 to 400-grit depending on the surface condition and type of wood being finished. After the surface has been sanded and prepared, remove dust with a water-damped, lint-free cloth. DO NOT USE OIL/WAX TACK CLOTHS.
2. If the surface to be finished has a grain filler, glaze or solvent-based stain applied to it, ensure that these products are compatible with the EM8000cv by preparing and a test panel before proceeding. If compatibility is in question, seal the opposing surface with EMTECH USH3000 Shellac Sealer before finishing with EM8000cv.
3. Mix varnish gently, than strain through a medium-mesh paint filter before using. Allow the strained varnish to settle before using.
4. Apply topcoats of EM8000cv as supplied, or thinned 5%-10% by liquid volume with SA5 Spray/Brush Retarder. Allow each coat to air dry for a minimum of 1 hour before re-coating. Sanding between each coat is not required unless there are visible surface defects or the last coat has dried for more then 24-hours. Lightly sand with 400 or 600-grit stearate free sandpaper to remove imperfections. Allow the finish to dry and cure in a warm, dry area. Final chemical cure takes place after 120 hours at 70F.
5. The addition of 3-5% by liquid volume of CL100 CrossLinker will convert EM8000 from a pre-cat into a post-catalyzed solution. See the instructions for CL100 CrossLinker for exact procedures.